Saturday, December 26, 2009

Why Bother?

Bear with me a moment while I work some things out in my own head, and share that with you. It's the "why" I'm doing what I'm doing...

I spent Christmas with family and extended family, and actually discussed my intention to make as much food and other household supplies from scratch this coming year. Interestingly, one of my in-laws has read (or "skimmed" -- she said it was a bit dry in parts, and she's right, except I was afraid of missing information) "Omnivore's Dilemma". And yet, she hasn't really changed her family's way of eating very much.

When I offered to share my (soon to be here) copy with another SIL, she wasn't interested in reading it, despite being very interested in being healthy. I admit to being surprised, though I suppose it's a little like going back to school (OTOH, I always have a least one non-fiction book that I'm reading, and they're frequently books of information that I'm reading to learn from).

And then, last night whilst reading an essay from "Food, Inc." (which isn't as good or interesting or unoffensive as "Omnivore's Dilemma" still has some interesting info) I came across this quote:

"Once our personal connection to what is wrong becomes clear, then we have to choose: we can go on as before, recognizing our dishonesty and living with it the best we can, or we can begin the effort to change the way we think and live." - Wendell Berry

It was an "aha" moment for me. How can I know what goes into conventional food production and NOT want to change the way I eat? For instance, SIXTEEN different pesticides are sprayed on each crop of conventionally grown apples. SIXTEEN. I know they've been declared "safe"... but are they really? How many things have been declared "safe" only to find out later that they cause birth defects or cancer?

I have to admit to it being easier to think about how I and my family are impacted rather than "the world" -- that's just so big. But if every other time I buy a chicken, I buy an organic one, how much healthier will my family be? (Yes, the world is also impacted but again it's a little hard to consider how my one chicken is going to change the world).

If I use natural household cleaners instead of chemicals, how much healthier will my family be? (Again, is it better for "the world" to flush vinegar down my drain that chemicals ... absolutely, but I'm more inclined to save my family first).

If I grow a garden, will my family be healthier -- even if that food only replaces 1/16th of what we eat for the year?

If I grind my own flour, buy locally grown food, and skip eating meat for at least one or two meals a week -- will my family be healthier?

And... knowing that they would be healthier, how can I NOT do those things? Because, after all...

"Once our personal connection to what is wrong becomes clear, then we have to choose: we can go on as before, recognizing our dishonesty and living with it the best we can, or we can begin the effort to change the way we think and live." - Wendell Berry


Next time... back to recipes and my experience with them.

1 comment:

  1. I am only a family of one, but I am doing my best to eat naturally and home made. Have sour dough starter in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete