Saturday, January 30, 2010

Homemade Muffins Even Your DH Will Eat

My DH is the pickiest eater in the world. He doesn't think he is, but I could tell you stories...

Anyway, yesterday I was craving muffins for breakfast, but it was a Friday and my DH was home and would want some, too. Normally, in the "old" days, I would have done one of two things: 1. Make a separate batch just for him using Bisquick or 2. Give in and eat the Bisquick muffins myself. Ick.

DH doesn't subscribe to my belief in healthy, whole grains. He'd rather eat drywall or cardboard. But, I'm determined to sneak healthful foods into his diet somehow. So yesterday, I decided to try out a new recipe for muffins.

Here is the original recipe (and then after, I'll tell you how I adjusted it):

WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS

2 c Whole Wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c oil
1/2 c nuts or sprouted wheat

Mix well. Bake in greased muffin pan at 425 degrees for 15 mins

Yield: 18 muffins

*From "Kitchen Magic" by Deanna Smith Sudweeks

Okay... first off, DH would know if I used all whole wheat flour, so that wasn't going to work. Also, they wouldn't be sweet enough, and I don't like nuts in my muffins, so those would have to change.

I used in place of the 2 cups of whole wheat flour (this was a BIG compromise for me, but ... *sigh*...):

3/4 c all purpose flour, 1/4 c quinoa flour, 1 c whole wheat flour

For sweetener, I used:

1/2 c honey, 1/4 c brown sugar

And I added 1 cup of blueberries

As a side note, I filled the muffin cups nearly to the top, and only got 12 muffins.



They were the best muffins I've ever made. Fluffy, tasty, perfectly cooked and yes, even DH ate them with almost no complaint (DD asked if I'd used Bisquick and I said "NO, I used flour." ... DH responded, "Why don't you just use Bisquick?" and I said something along the lines of, "Just be quiet and eat them." LOL...)

So, I highly recommend this recipe (though I may slowly reduce the amount of all purpose flour to see how far down I can take it before the muffins aren't so light and fluffy) and will absolutely make it again and again.

*****************

3 comments:

  1. You know, there are recipes for homemade "Bisquick" where you could put whole wheat flour into the mix. I'm going to have to try these muffins. I *love* muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe. I am copying it today.

    ReplyDelete